Friday, August 3, 2012

Tech-free Technology

I must confess I was surprised to see that our last class of the summer included not one remnant of technology, besides the artificial lighting and the frigid air being pumped into the classroom. Our meeting today was entirely discussion-oriented and involved a panel of former MAC students who shared their experiences with teaching with a focus on their utilization of technology in the classroom. Something I struggled to wrap my mind around was the variation of access to technology amongst the teachers speaking today.  I can’t recall specifics but I know a story was told involving a novice teacher whose computer failed three weeks into the school year and was basically informed it would not be fixed. Interesting. I guess, with all my apprehension about technology, I should be careful what I wish for! Along that line of thought, I really appreciated the comment made by one of the former MAC panelists about the chalkboard being the only other entity in the classroom on which she could depend. Hearing these confessions actually makes me feel more comfortable with the idea of technology in the classroom. Prior to the discussion today, I felt a bit ostracized by my hesitation to embrace technology, almost to the extent that it seemed I was the only one who was aware of its unpredictable nature. But after hearing from teachers in the field that, despite the pressure from the top to create a model of the 21st century classroom within your four walls, sometimes it just doesn’t work and you’ve got to go with your backup plan, well, that made me feel a bit more secure, or maybe it’s better to say it made me feel a little less crazy. Everyone knows technology is unreliable and now we finally got the chance to talk about what to do when your plans collapse. I appreciated hearing the other side of the technostory. I think bringing in guest speakers is a great idea for this course and I’m excited to see more of it in the fall!

2 comments:

  1. I agree Carrie. Today's guest speakers were great to listen to. The lack of technology in class today was something I noted as well. I have to wonder, couldn't technology have made today's class a different experience? Couldn't using skype or podcasts, or netmeeting avoided the cramped conditions of the second half of class, and the imposition on the speakers? (one former Mac'er had just returned to the country yesterday)

    Not to mention saving all of us a little gas, time, or money?

    I took the hint that teachers shouldn't rely solely on technology to heart. I wouldn't ever want to feel as though I couldn't teach without it. Still....I would like to experience what it's like to competently teach with it. Before I stand in front of a class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can always find something that makes us take note or that we can point to as an issue. However, I still think we need to embrace technology. At the same time we need to understand that there can always be problems, even low or no tech ones. At one point in another class we were in groups and we had to share our group findings on the wipe board. There was only one problem, only one maker that actually worked and six groups that needed it and the clock was ticking...

    I wonder what the people said when the lightbulb was being introduced...ugh, now we have to have power lines run to our house, or perhaps why use that when all I need to do is put a little oil in the lamp or light a candle? I can not imagine this world without lights at night...How about telephones...what was said about them back when they were introduced...why do I need that thing? If I want to speak with someone, I will just go and talk to them...again, where would we be now without them...

    Today's students have grown up with the new technologies and I really believe we need to make sure we catch up to them...so we can teach them in the language they are familiar with, and this is coming from the guy who always needs help with the new technologies...That said, still nothing beats a candle-lit dinner with someone special, especially when the power goes out in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete