Sunday, July 29, 2012

Skiigo, Everbox, Diinote & Dropype.

A joke, a joke. I know the differences between the programs despite the seemingly high proportion of overlap. The names are just a teeny bit amusing to me, maybe only Diigo. Anyways . . .

In keeping with the theme of this blog, I'd like to take this opportunity to address my flip-floppage on the subject of technology. With the "This I believe" podcast approaching, I feel a little like a politician who's being pressured to take a stance on a controversial issue with the upcoming election looming over her head. I know sometimes people refer to personal struggles as being a battle between the mind and the heart. So using those terms, consider the ideas presented forth in this class as being the thoughts in my brain and consider my fundamental desire for a natural, sustainable world as being my heart. So, because most people's views do not resonate with my own, I just want to tell my side of the story.

I believe our society is too dependent upon and too distracted by technology. I think there is an underestimated, invaluable amount of knowledge to be learned from the natural world that immediately surrounds us and people have lost sight of the richness of organic experiences. From my perspective, the digital world's dependency on coal negates any good intentions of "going paperless." I do my best to consume small amounts of energy despite living in our modern world; at the very least, I can say I consciously weigh the benefits of any energy-consuming form of technology before incorporating it into my lifestyle. I know not everyone takes this stance and some might find it silly. But I wanted to share these thoughts because this is the core of my struggle with this course and with teaching with technology in general. I want to engage my students in meaningful ways and, therefore, I have no intentions of blindly ignoring valuable technological tools and applications for the sake of my mantra. But for some reason, this course has quite often left me feeling guilty that I am not as eager as others to invite technology into my classroom, as if this is an indicator that I am not an eager, excited teacher. Because I am! I'm just more cautious than some . . . Another residual effect of this stance is the lack of familiarity with technology that causes additional floundering when trying not to sink in this course. I'm new to this Mac, to taking notes on a computer in class, to blogging, to podcasting, to using Evernote, Diigo, Dropbox and the list goes on. And I try. I really try.

Then there's the other side of me who wonders that, since my disposition to not use technology is so firmly planted in my worldview, if a decision to not use a certain form of technology in my class constitutes as imposing my beliefs on my students? Keep in mind that I would not ignore something that has obvious benefits, I just want to hear your thoughts regarding my internal debate. Thanks for listening, guys.

7 comments:

  1. becarrie, I agree with you.

    On the subject of being "distracted" by technology, I hate that everyone is on his/her phone all the time! I suppose this makes me something of a freak, but my children will not, as long as I can help it, be using every "free" moment playing games, texting, etc. Whatever happened to interacting with the people around you? Learning patience by waiting (and not doing anything)? Staring off into space and THINKING?

    I suppose I'm going off on a rant here.

    Back to your post: I don't think you need to worry about imposing your views on technology on students. They are getting so much exposure all the time outside of school. I do think there is an argument to be made that the classroom can be a place where kids get a break from all that. For, as you put, more "organic experiences." I'd like to know more what you mean by that.

    I also really appreciate that you voice the perception that because you are not necessarily eager to use technology in your classroom that you are not an eager, excited teacher. I get that feeling sometimes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I like your humor with the names of the tools. Now that would be an interesting thing to me, as a future English teacher, to do with students: look at why various tools are called what they are (are there linguistic processes at work such as blending, clippling, backformation, etc?) as well as have students apply the systematic rules of English to create their own new names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your tool name blends, too! I have yet to find the Holy Grail of online organizing awesomeness, so I tend to use bits and pieces of a handful of tools. Also, should it reassure you at all, the This I Believe podcast is only meant to capture where your thinking is NOW. You can always shift your view, think again, revise your thinking, etc. I think many educators (including Jeff and me!) have mixed feelings about technology. We like it when it's a pedagogical power-boost but frustrated when it means we're expected to be on duty 24/7 or just distracts from poor teaching. Jeff once gave me advice for a presentation that I'll port into this context. To paraphrase, "You can't push PAST uncertainties. You have to push THROUGH them." Consider the podcast an early step in pushing???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever title!

    With regard to your last paragraph, I have a few thoughts.

    I do not believe that deciding not to use technology is "imposing your beliefs" on your students unless you actually do "impose" it on them.

    There is nothing wrong with running a technology-limited classroom and demonstrating a technology-limited lifestyle to your students. In fact I would say it would be a good thing, should you decide to do that. A decision like this (if you decide to) is what brings balance. And in my world-view, the idea of "balance" is everything (we'll define "balance" later...not enough space here).

    I would say it is one of those things where you demonstrate the lifestyle, but then tell the students they need to decide for themselves. Give them the evidence in favor of a technology-limited lifestyle. As you suggest, no one else seems to be doing it.....someone needs to be the voice. It's okay to be that voice if you believe in it. Despite its power, technology is not the "make or break" decision that everyone seems to think it is.

    Note: I am not advocating a philosophy of absence of truth, just that technology is not an issue where we need to find "truth."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the title of this post. Very clever

    I like the way you talk about the This I Believe podcast. I definitely felt this way too...even though I'm very eager to use technology in my classroom it felt awkward. From your perspective the assignment seems problematic...the requirement to stay positive makes it difficult to dissent. That being said, I think it's noteworthy how much effort you are putting into the class, even if it does not align with your beliefs.

    I don't think that your lack of technology in your classroom will force students to adopt your beliefs. Your use (or non-use) of technology is your decision as an educator, and you need to use what you're comfortable with in your classroom. If you aren't comfortable with something your students probably won't get everything out of it anyway, right? The students will undoubtedly be exposed to technology in their other classes, so it isn't solely your responsibility to introduce them to technology within the academic setting.

    I think your efforts are really commendable. It is SO hard to try new things when we don't necessarily agree with them. I think you should be proud of yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Carrie! Your title....so funny! Yet so apropos.

    I don't think you have to worry about imposing your low-tech beliefs on students. In the great grand scheme of things, our students will see and use more technology than we ever will. Odds are that this exposure won't come from the classroom. Perspectives like yours are valuable and students deserve to see more than one viewpoint on the issue.

    I admire your commitment to your students and to your professional development. I like how you separate your "heart from your mind" as you ponder the question of what you believe. I think that no matter how much technology you allow to enter your classroom, you will be an eager, exciting and empowering teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Part of what I sense from your wonderful essay is pressure--of imposed expectations not only from Ed 504, but much more importantly, from the greater superstructure of educational community, parents, politicians, etc. who dictate what we do in the classroom. Outside pressure is a fact of life in this profession and par for the course. A result of pressure to use technology at all costs was evident in 695 yesterday. As fabulous and informative as the presentations were, I found myself switching between Powerpoint slide and oral discourse, and missing points from both. It is a little like having subtitles for a film in your own language: it is more distracting and detracting than anything. Must we always use Powerpoint? Are we able to lecture without it? I take notes on paper, and am unconvinced of the usefulness of note-taking on my Mac. I had a very bookish Latin professor who used Smartboard every class to great effect. But she never used technology just for the sake of using technology. So my take on this is we should know what the tools are and how to use them, and only employ them when it enhances the lesson substantively. On the other hand, I will *have* to use software like Blackboard or Powerschool or C-Tools in deference to the school where I work. At the end of the day, from the standpoint of someone with little interest in on-line organizers, such things are professional necessities.

    ReplyDelete