Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Night in Columbus, or the Continual Flipflopping of my Technology Mindset

Last Thursday, the Woodrow Wilson fellows attended a conference in Columbus with workshops and sessions designed to help make us better teachers. We heard various speakers give personal recaps of their experiences teaching, most of which I found to be very inspiring. So let me say this first:  overall, the conference was a wonderful opportunity and experience. However, since this is a technology blog, I'd like to share a blip about one of the sessions I attended in which the presenter attempted to make good use of technology but, instead, the application hindered our engagement in the activity.
This particular session was oriented around the ideas of power and culture and privilege and how these phenomena manifest in our classrooms. It had potential to be a very enriching discussion but the facilitator chose to play it safe at first by asking the audience (a small crowd of seven) to respond anonymously to questions regarding race and prejudice by texting responses to an online polling service. A great idea, I'm sure. However, surprisingly, no one had very strong reception inside of the conference center and, thus, the polling activity did not go as planned. But instead of redemption, the presenter focused on the technology, trying again and again to have it work, telling us how it's such a great tool when it does work. And I was cringing. Why couldn't we just discuss the questions? And I'm sure this will be a shock to you all:  the presenter never initiated discussion. The technology failed and we waited and waited and patiently lingered on the screen, hoping that one message would pop up to justify the time we had wasted . . . 
Now, this is an extreme case of misusing technology in the classroom, I know. Seemingly there was no backup plan and, in my opinion, had the polling worked, I still would consider this a misuse since it inhibited the exchange of ideas in the first place. But that's not my point. Why did this woman feel so compelled to incorporate this technology into her presentation at all? Why is so much emphasis placed on including technology in our classrooms, in MY classroom?  It's unreliable, frustrating, and ever-changing. Even as we learned about making podcasts, we were told sometimes your recording will be saved, sometimes it won't. Why should I ask my students to perform a task using such a device that could cause them to become frustrated? I'm familiar with the argument that my students will have been reared in a different, more tech-savvy world but I just don't know how far that inclination extends especially considering the rapid pace at which technology is advancing. I mean, I was raised on TV, VCRs and PowerPoint presentations (all valid forms of technology) but that doesn't mean I don't get a teeny bit perturbed when I try to edit a movie in Quicktime or convert files from one perfectly useful form to another. And isn't negativity associated with school something I should want to avoid? So, commentators, I have two requests/questions:

1) Do you feel it is important for all teachers to incorporate technology into their lessons?
2) What is gained by this? In other words, how will my effectiveness as a teacher be inhibited by choosing not to use recent technological advancements in my classroom?

9 comments:

  1. Interesting to say the least. Sometimes I think people believe they must use the latest and greatest in order to be relevant...I think back to Kristin and her comment about technology and thinking you must do something using it if you can do it the plain old simple way. If you are in a class and you can just have them raise their hands, why create a survey on the computer and have the kids answer it electronically...It is important to be up on the latest and greatest so you understand what is going on in your student's lives, but it does not mean everything needs to have the newest technology involved.

    I think including technology in your classroom is important, but actually teaching the kids is of far greater importance. If technology aid in that endeavor, then by all means include it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post. The conference you guys attended sounds like it had the potential (and maybe succeeded in other ways) of being very informative, practical, and helpful. I found myself cringing with you through your story. However, I do think it is important to use technology in the classroom, if only to prepare our students for the technological world around them. I am not saying we should use technology on every assignment, but I think technology is so pervasive that our students need to learn how to use it effectively. As for your second question, I don't think it would inhibit your effectiveness by not using it. I know that contradicts my previous position, but I know there are amazing teachers teaching without technology, either by choice or circumstances and so I am in no place to judge effectiveness solely on the use of technology or not. I think if you are comfortable without technology and in order to protect against the misuse of technology (like in your example) you should be able to decide what's best for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You raise some thoughtful points...

    My thoughts (just on question 1....because its really late right now)

    In response to question #1...I unfortunately have to say "yes." But I temper that by adding "appropriate and proven technology." One of our SecMAC benchmarks is the "smoothly functioning classroom." If somehow the technology takes away from this, then scrap it.

    To me technology is just a tool. Example: In repairing a car, one might ask, "When should we use a wrench?" Well...we really can't answer that till we know what we need to work on...and what subcomponent fasteners that part has. And then we might decide that a socket wrench is better is than a standard wrench. When socket wrenches first came out they were pretty awful too...but then we got better at using them and making them...and now we have socket wrenches that bend in every direction imaginable. So technology is just a tool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the presenter was trying to use Wiffiti or Poll Everywhere. And when those tools work, they DO provide additional value over hand-raising, in my experience. It democratizes the classroom, lets quiet ones speak, etc. But you have learned about one of the banes of my existence -- conferences that don't have WiFi access. It can be the pits (and I learn how addicted I am -- I get twitchy without access)!

    Especially with a touchy subject like race and prejudice, anonymous contributions can reveal thoughts too personal to claim face-to-face, so it was definitely well-intentioned (although why just 7 people?).

    I think that one of the factors was that the presenter wasn't able to gather his thoughts and just move on. And that's a pedagogical issue, not a tech one, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to figure out how to respond to this reply without sounding, well, stupid. I am actually really interested to see where this goes… So, shouldn’t you want to have a more open conversation when it comes to difficult subjects such as race and prejudice? Anonymous contributions can be both good and bad. But I think it would actually be more beneficial to have these types of discussions in a more open format. The most important issue here is how the teacher would moderate the conversation...not to mention, making sure every voice was heard. It seems to me the anonymity of tech here would actually hinder a more open discussion. One thing that really worries me about the new technologies is being anonymous. It is really easy to hide when no one knows who you are. This is actually something I really struggle with, are you actually helping or hurting the student who is quiet by letting them continue to stay quiet while at the same time letting them share their thoughts, even though they are anonymous…

      That said, it does make sense to use the anonymous answers to create talking points which can be used to lead discussions...I do agree, it is more of a pedagogical issue than a tech issue. But as a student said when asked what a teacher can do to teach better, make sure the class is not boring and it is fun...these tech issues obviously made the lesson seem boring and unimportant.

      Delete
  6. No, teachers should not be required to use technology in the classroom. Schools should encourage and support technology but forcing the unwilling or unprepared to take the leap into cyber-teaching is cruel and unusual punishment, for the students as well as the teacher.

    If it helps, use it. If it hinders toss it.

    Just that simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But shouldn't you know how to use what your students are already so versed in? How can you be effective if you can not speak the same language as those you are teaching?

      Delete
    2. Yes, you should try to gain as much knowledge as you can about your students, but never to the point where it hinders your teaching. There are many other real-life ways to connect to students that are just as, (if not more), important to teaching.

      Personally, I don't understand the "all or nothing" aura of tech in the classroom. The new does not have to replace the old, it just has to be integrated. Teachers of every style have value.

      As far as effectively teaching without speaking the same language as my students, lol....this would make an interesting "code switching" discussion...but maybe we can chat about it over coffee....in September.

      Have a great break!

      Delete