Monday, July 16, 2012

Class on Friday was not what I expected. In fact, it didn't really feel much like an actual class at all. It began with an informal session during which the middle-schoolers visited and shared some highly valuable thoughts and perspectives. The messages that the students communicated us surprised me in that they aligned perfectly with our readings and the ideas we've been contemplating in our ED classes:  assigning manageable amounts of homework and creating a safe environment in which students are comfortable making their voices heard.  It's eye-opening to realize that these students are actually invaluable resources of knowledge, more so perhaps than our texts. This experience helped me to realize the importance of exchanging ideas with the students. They may be young, but they know what they want and need from a teacher or a classroom.

Our next activity had us form groups with our classmates of similar content areas in order to design a lesson around the NYC soda ban. The previous blog post was preparation for this activity but the result of my group's combined genius was outstanding! We designed a semester long project in which students become acquainted with all the workings of scientific investigation, from the literature review to experiment design to peer review of classmates' papers and a school-wide "conference" in which students convene and share their findings. I'm looking forward to using a similar project template in my classroom and letting students generate topic ideas. Fun fun fun. Oh and, of course, it was suggested that students maintain a reflection blog throughout the project and for the first time, I saw the benefit of this using this form of technology within a classroom. I guess I needed an external, real-world setting in which a blog could allow students to thrive, to think deeply about their work, to voice opinions that don't seem to fit within classroom walls, and to engage in student-led discourse amongst themselves. So yes, I admit that this course is accomplishing its goals despite my initial resistance. I never thought I'd say that I see some good in blogging... makes me wonder what else, technology-wise, is out there that I have yet to consider its application in my classroom.

Lastly, we made practice podcasts on a topic of our choosing. Surprisingly, I had a lot of fun doing it. And I now know how to make a podcast. And my boyfriend loves Aviary. He's been tinkering with the different tools all weekend. So thanks, tech class. You are revolutionizing my technology mentality.

7 comments:

  1. I like the way you brought up the advice that Scarlett students gave us. I forgot that this happened when I wrote my blog! But you're right--it was really valuable and it was nice to be able to see the students in another way. My focal student was actually the one who commented on being scared to answer questions because he didn't want to be wrong. Hearing this gave me some insight into why he is the way he is in class, which is extremely helpful! Do you think that the students felt validated when they were given the chance to give us guidance? While I agree that the advice was helpful, I'm disappointed that I probably won't get a chance like that again (be in the position to ask students for advice without losing my position of authority). Do you think it is possible to have these kinds of discussions in your future classroom? How?

    Interestingly enough, I'm also a bit resistant to aspects of technology in the classroom and even though I think we're resisting in different ways we're both experiencing a change in opinion (if this makes sense). It seems like Kristin and Jeff are doing a great job at exposing us to different forms of technology. Very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To answer your questions about asking advice of students, I believe it is a conversation that belongs in the classroom. One of the professors with whom I did research in undergrad would have what she referred to as "Feedback Friday" during which the students would scribble down a couple of thoughts about the highs and lows of the previous week or the course in general. She would collect these, review them over the weekend, and often incorporate their suggestions into her future lessons or open the topic for discussion with the class at a later time. How powerful! I feel as if I had so many classes, especially in college, where this type of opportunity would have resulted in continual engagement as opposed to "checking out" when I felt the professors and/or topics were too distant. I think asking students for their opinions doesn't threaten authority. Instead, I believe it decreases the social distance between you and your student, which, in turn, decreases the distance they feel from the subject matter you are teaching.

      Delete
    2. I think making sure you incorporate the students’ thoughts and ideas is of paramount importance. When you are selling a product, if the consumer does not want it, the product does not sell. How do you find out what the consumer wants? Great question…you ask the customer.

      So if we are selling learning, shouldn’t we get some feedback as to what the students, consumers, want? Obviously, they will not get a lot of input when it comes to the curriculum, but perhaps there are ways we teach or how we teach, as Musetta said, “her main advice was to make things fun and not be boring.” Hmm…sounds like pretty good advice. I really believe if we allow the students to take part in their educational process, they will probably buy into the learning thing a lot more and want to be successful!

      Delete
  2. I agree about the collaboration being beneficial. My rough draft lesson plan couldn't hold a candle to the lesson plan my group came up with. I also am feeling better about this class which is directly a result of all the cool things we have been doing. I would never think of a lot of the ideas Kristin & Jeff give us, but I am so thankful and I trying to keep a running list so I can refer back.

    I loved the middle school students' visit! I agree that they know what they want from teachers and sometimes it aligns with what they need, they are a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  3. During my interview with my student from Scarlett, I asked her to give me advice on how to be a better teacher. Her main advice was to make things fun and not be boring. I think it's important that we make things fun for the kids. We read a lot about engaging the students and motivating them; based on our readings, the students are on point. Our students are on the same page as the researchers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that first part of class as well. I wish we could have spent more time with them on our "terf". Having the one-on-one contact we have had with them....then showing them around the school.....I wonder if we could have pushed any more of them towards a college education.

    The things they said were good. To be honest, none of them surprised me, but they reiterated how valuable their input is.

    Maybe we can talk Charles into giving us a group session with them at the end of the summer so we can ask them some more questions!!??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess that should be "turf"...

    ReplyDelete