Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Science of SODA!!!

Greetings again, fellow bloggers!

The topic of the day is . . .

. . . how might I incorporate the NYC soda ban into a lesson plan for my hypothetical physics class that just so happens to be filled with hypothetical, eager-to-learn, potentially soda-lovin' kiddies?

Seems like the possibilities here should be endless but, to be frank, I've struggled to find connections between soda and physics. Science, sure!  Maybe I'll explore that first:


My first thought involved chemists-in-training using lab supplies to investigate some of the chemical properties of soda and compare these data to the properties of, say, juice, water, tea, coffee or even energy drinks. As I'm no expert in chemistry, I'd be interested to hear suggestions or elaborations on this potential lab activity from anyone out there who might have a thought on the subject. I did some digging (and by digging, I mean I googled "soda chemistry lab") and here's a taste of a soda lab that is feasible for high school chemistry or physical science classrooms.


Also, I really enjoyed the example proposed during our class discussion (credit and kudos to Rachael) of having students engage in real science by conducting an experiment with mice investigating the long-term or immediate effects of soda as compared to some of the other beverages I listed earlier.

Speaking of mice, wasn't there a big news story going around recently asserting that Mountain Dew could dissolve the little critters if they just so happened to find themselves swimming in a sea of cola? Perhaps our future scientists could test these claims. I'd be interested to see what soda could dissolve, not limiting, or committing, ourselves to mice.

And if we're talking now about basic soda experiments, of course I must mention the infamous Diet Coke and Mentos reaction, guaranteed to draw some excitement from a class of rowdy, mess-making teenagers. And the science behind this phenomenon is appropriate for physics classrooms, including concepts related to thermodynamics, fluids and, of course, explosions.

So, there you have it. Kitchen science at its finest. And to drive it all home, the findings of these experiments could be discussed in the context of the NYC soda ban, particularly those labs pertaining to the long-term effects of soda consumption or exposure. To reinforce scientific literacy development, students could look up existing research on soda in order to form educated opinions on the health issues surrounding soda consumption. These evidence-based ideas could be debated in class amongst fellow student-researchers as preparation for discourse in the scientific community. Or students could use their findings to support claims made in letters written to politicians regarding soda policies in our area (or beyond), a task which allows students to explore their role as scientifically-literate members of the community.

Well, I suppose the possibilities truly are limitless. I'm anxious to see how these ideas compare to those of teachers in other disciplines, as well as those generated by my fellow science teachers-to-be. Oh, and I feel obliged to inform you all that this blog was actually fun to write. Maybe it's growing on me. And that's with just one tech. class under my belt. There's no telling where this semester will lead . . .

1 comment:

  1. As a Langauge Arts teacher, I am somewhat envious of all of the very hands-on and fun science that could be done here!

    What's more, I love that you are thinking about how to make this relevant, giving the example of students using their findings to support claims made in letters written about this or other policy.

    I could envision the topic of the soda ban as a framework for weeks-long study across the content areas.

    I do hope that I will be able to work in a school environment that encourages and supports cross-content collaboration. I wonder what we can do as students to begin making this mindset our own.

    ReplyDelete